Nissan Qashqai - Faulty Nissan Qashqai - AZ111

Hi all, hoping for some advice on our issue.

We bought a brand new Nissan Qashqai in May 2014. On the drive home, noticed three 'service faults' and a problem with the camera. (Called the dealership the same day and told them.)

To cut a long story short, the problem with the camera still exists today. The car has been in for repair seven times for a total of 136 days (4 and a bit months) - that's now over 50% of the time we've owned the car.

The dealer we bought it from closed down in July 2014, so we were directed by Nissan Customer Services to have it repaired at another Nissan dealer. This second dealer have had it six separate times, and presently have been in possession of it since 5th November 2014.

I have been in constant communication with Nissan Customer Services, and wrote a complaint to their director at the start of 2015, so now have a case manager from the 'director's office'.

The latest I have heard - found this out a couple of weeks ago - is that they are trying to source a donor part for the camera (this part being very rare...??) from the production line to test in our car. They have no timeframe as to when they can acquire it. They've come to this conclusion after having the car for about 110 days.

In the last two months, I have asked numerous times that they provide with a written breakdown of all the work performed on our car - I have never received this.

I am desperate to get a refund for this car as they clearly can't fix it - I mean, 136 days of working on a vehicle and they're nowhere! However, they keep rabbitting on that they 'would always seek to repair a car under warranty'.

I am close to tearing my hair out!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nissan Qashqai - Faulty Nissan Qashqai - skidpan

As I see it you have 2 problems.

Your contract is with the dealer you bought the car from and not Nissan. The dealer has closed so while Nissan are helping in law they are not responsible for refunding your money.

Having a non working camera does not make the car unusable. If it was a no working engine or gearbox it would be a different matter.

I think your best bet is to try for a replacement vehicle. With luck they won't ask for any betterment.

If you want a refund it may end up in an expensive (for you) court case.

Nissan Qashqai - Faulty Nissan Qashqai - FP

I'm sure Skidpan is right.

It's bad luck you no longer have a seller to stick the responsibility on. (Unless there is some legal argument that Nissan has now technically assumed that responsibility.)

I don't understand why you cannot get the car back and use it while Nissan is doing whatever it thinks will sort out the problem (have you actually tried?), but if they are really hanging on to the car it will strengthen your case for an exchange or refund.

Nissan Qashqai - Faulty Nissan Qashqai - AZ111

Thank you both for your replies, appreciated.

Nissan have honestly done their best to make a complete mess of situation.

When we first raised the 'possible' idea of the rejection with Dealer 1 (when they were still open), we were told to speak to Nissan Customer Services about this. (Incorrect, I know.) I even got the phone number written down for me.

When I contacted Nissan Customer Services in July (to complain about how long Dealer 1 were taking to source a part), they were the ones that told me Dealer 1 had closed down - the first I had heard of it. Nissan CS then *told* me to go Dealer 2 to continue repair - they even made an appointment for me.

When raising the subject of rejection once again, Nissan CS suddenly told me to speak to Dealer 1's HQ...they still exist, despite the branch where we bought the car closing. Dealer 1's HQ rejected our rejection, saying "we haven't been given the opportunity to fix the car". (They did in fact have one opportunity, and it was then Nissan CS that mis-directed us to Dealer 2.)

The sixth time our car was in for repair, we did state we needed it back. Dealer 2 made a really big deal about how they needed to put the car back together and how we were interrupting their repair, but if we really needed it back, we could have it. In fact, they bodged up the airbag system and left it permanently disabled and left the rear door casing lying around in the boot - screws rolling around and all. (So, not really putting it back together!)

You're right, it *is* just the camera! I've read online about other owners suffering more serious and potentially dangerous issues. It's then baffling as to why it's taking so long to repair. I have been told that they did get a replacement camera (from Japan, no less) which they installed (assuming they did do it - I've not had any written evidence of any work, as mentioned). I assume it's actually some major component of the electronics causing problems.

The issue I've heard about replacement - not that we want anything to do with Nissan! - is that it's hard to get a proper replacement because of the difficulty in matching up exact specs...?