Insurance gap and no claims - Dimebag

Ive had a gap in my car insurance of about 3 years, i sold my car to buy a van but when insuring it they would not honour my no claims on the car so it started from scratch. Im still insured on the van (with another driver) but dont use it on a daily basis.

Does anyone know the best way to go about this, i just bought a reliable old banger for £300 and the insurance is either £180 with 10 years plus claims or £500 without!

Seems odd that a gap in insurance can do this.

Insurance gap and no claims - unthrottled

I've fallen into this trap myself. Your NCD is 'valid' for up to two years-after which you're back to square one. Obviously a negative driving history (claims/points/convictions) are of interest for five years...

Insurance gap and no claims - Dimebag

Thanks, looks like i will have to get on the phone today and beg for some discounts.

I am insured on 3 other vehicles so we will see what happens.

Insurance gap and no claims - retgwte

sometimes if you phone your last insurance company (the one the last car ncb was held with) they will restart where you left off, assuming no convictions etc in the mean time

certainly ive heard of women who took a few years off from driving after giving birth doing this ok

Insurance gap and no claims - unthrottled

they will restart where you left off, assuming no convictions etc in the mean time

Direct Line didn't do this for me! The operative could see my previous policy on his screen but confirmed that this would not be taken into consideration! "Now, have you had any convictions in the last five yuears...?" $%&~#