Suzuki Swift - Road Tax - Best Date to Transfer within a Family - Halmerend

What's the best date to pass registered ownership of a car from one family member to another to avoid losing out car tax wise?

If I transfer it on the 1st, for example, do I lose the remainder of the month that I have paid for and my son has to tax it immediately?

So am I best transfering ownership on the last day of the month?

Suzuki Swift - Road Tax - Best Date to Transfer within a Family - RT

Wait until the VED almost expires, SORN it online on the last day of the month, ensuring it's not on the highway. Do the change of registered keeper online on the 1st of the next month and the new keeper gets new VED

You'll lose about 24 hours use but that's all.

Edited by RT on 09/03/2018 at 19:29

Suzuki Swift - Road Tax - Best Date to Transfer within a Family - RichardW

DVLA have got wise to that, and if you SORN it, then you can't do another transaction online in 5 days (although you can tax it a PO). However; you get a refund from the day DVLA receive the info. So RO puts in notice of change on last day of month, then new RO taxes it on the 1st. It's technically never untaxed, but I wouldn't drive it / leave it on the road in the intervening period. Going to try it at the end of the month with my wife's old car I am taking over.

Suzuki Swift - Road Tax - Best Date to Transfer within a Family - Halmerend
Just found out it’s £30 a year so not talking big bucks here ha ha :)
Suzuki Swift - Road Tax - Best Date to Transfer within a Family - Bromptonaut
Just found out it’s £30 a year so not talking big bucks here ha ha :)

TBH even at top end of VED scale, compared with overall running costs, it's hardly worth breaking into a sweat over.