What car would you recommend to replace my ST220 Mondeo with similar performance but cheaper running costs?

I currently run a 2006 Mondeo ST220 that I love, while my wife drives a '05 diesel Panda. We can no longer justify running both cars and will be selling the ST220 and Panda and replacing them with one vehicle. It must be large enough to transport a family of four and also to be able to comfortably take my golf clubs and electric trolley. As I will be the main user and enjoy driving, I would like the car to have similar performance to the ST220 while returning better MPG and with a lower VED rate. The car will cover around 10,000 miles a year normally doing a 30-mile round trip commute a day. My budget is whatever I get for the ST220 and Panda plus a maximum of £6,000.

Asked on 5 February 2011 by AC, Manchester

Citroen DS3 1.6 THP 150 Sport. Test and video: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/citroen/citroen-ds.../