What should we look for when buying a used 1997 Toyota Previa?

I am considering purchasing a 1997 Toyota Previa for my daughter to enable her to take out her five children at the same time. The vehicle has 147,000 miles on the clock but seems in pretty good condition. I also know that it is used daily and the owner takes his children in it. I want to ensure, however, that my daughter and her family's safety is not compromised and, should I proceed, I am proposing to take it to the local Toyota dealership for the braking system to be checked. Are there are any other features I should have checked from a safety perspective, e.g. shock absorbers, and also whether the cambelt should be checked? Could you also please advise on mpg and the cost of the road fund licence for the vehicle?

Asked on 12 January 2012 by RS, Stourbridge

MPG for an old Previa, maybe 20mpg if lucky. VED £220pa. Make sure it is a Previa and not a Lucida Estima or something. More info here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/previa-1990/