Personal injury claim which solicitor - Brettsza

I am in a dilemna, since my accident I have been chased by 100s of calls asking me to make an injury claim. I am not thinking about it at this time as my priority is to get back to work as I am not earning while staying at home. My insurers suggested there solicitors and said they will fight the claim for you. My question is that do I use there solicitor or should I be looking at any independent solicitors when I make any claims.

Insurance company states our solicitors are best and others say independent works only for you.

Personal injury claim which solicitor - RobJP

If it's the insurer's 'recommended' solicitor, then someone, somewhere, will be making money out of the compensation - the solicitors will be paying the insurance company a 'fee' to be 'approved' by them.

I suggest you ask, quite bluntly, what arrangement exists between them to be so highly rated. I also suspect they'll decline to answer.

Personal injury claim which solicitor - FP

I would be very cagey about this. Now, I have no experience of pursuing a claim for injury, but everybody (your insurers, and any solicitors you involve) is in it for one reason only: to make money. Personally, I would completely ignore the random calls from people you know nothing about.

"Insurance company states our solicitors are best..." Well, they would, wouldn't they? They're probably getting commission.

If solicitors represent you, it will most probably be on the basis of "no win - no fee" and that means they will take a big chunk of any pay-out. At the very least check the basis of exactly how much you would be charged by at least three firms, and choose these by personal recommendations if possible.

Finally, check whether you need a solicitor at all. Maybe you can make a claim yourself. Or do you have any legal coverage - with a household policy, for example?

Edited by FP on 02/02/2018 at 18:32

Personal injury claim which solicitor - Falkirk Bairn

Has the 3rd party admitted 100% liability for the damage to you & your car?

If so it will probably be in your interests to look for a solicitor with "liability skills" i.e. knows the ropes of what can be /cannot be claimed.

If liability is fully admitted by the 3rd party the solicitor will file his claim for services along with the agreed damages - i.e. you will not need to pay up front.

I claimed off 3rd party insurer who did not admit liability BUT settled on eve of court - I got £4,500, the lawyer was £1,700 & the car damage was £1,000. If they had admitted liability I would have settled for car damage & say £1,000 for my injury - they took 2 years to admit liability & spent £5K more.