I bought a Cat N car, which is actually a Cat S write off - what do I do?

I’ve bought a car through a salvage auction site. It's registered as a Category N write off, but upon inspection of the car at my local garage, the car has structural damage to the rear subframe and possibly the chassis. Surely that makes it a Cat S not Cat N. What can I do?

Asked on 18 April 2018 by Duncan Mccluskey

Answered by Honest John
Not if the damage is to the subframe, but it's Cat S if it's to the chassis. You need to complain to the salvage auction, and reject the car under the Trade Descriptions Act. If it has been sold on the premise of misleading omissions or was wrongly described, you have rights of action under the Consumer Rights Act.
Similar questions
I've just bought a car on finance. When the company went to change the logbook online, the system wouldn't work. We filled out a form for a new logbook and I was told by the finance company that the car...
I bought a MINI from an approved dealer 12 months ago, it was an ex demonstrator. It recently developed an issue with the air con. When I took it into my local authorised MINI repairer they said it was...
I bought a pre-regisered car. At the time of buying, the risk involved (driving a car which is not registered under my name) wasn't mentioned. My understanding was that after purchasing I would be the...

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer