I bought a Cat N car, which is actually a Cat S write off - what do I do?

I’ve bought a car through a salvage auction site. It's registered as a Category N write off, but upon inspection of the car at my local garage, the car has structural damage to the rear subframe and possibly the chassis. Surely that makes it a Cat S not Cat N. What can I do?

Asked on 18 April 2018 by Duncan Mccluskey

Not if the damage is to the subframe, but it's Cat S if it's to the chassis. You need to complain to the salvage auction, and reject the car under the Trade Descriptions Act. If it has been sold on the premise of misleading omissions or was wrongly described, you have rights of action under the Consumer Rights Act.