I'm 73, so why is my insurance premium almost as high as that of a new driver?

Why is my insurance ever increasing to that of new driver levels? Is it because of my age (73), rather than my driving experience?

Asked on 6 December 2017 by Stephen Hall

Yes, because you are deemed to be a much greater risk due to your age. Retake your driving test (it may be an eye opener), or do an advanced driving course with the IAM and it may bring the cost of your premium down. Just because you may have been driving for 40+ years does not mean you have been driving correctly. For example, when is the last time you looked at the Highway Code? It is this that insurers see as a risk. Statistically, the older you get, the more prone to incidents you are.

I have yet to see the stats that prove this, but we have a higher and higher age range now driving compared to ten or twenty years ago. I believe it to be ageist and I have personally challenged the EU commissioner Margarethe Vestager for fair trade.