I do 12,000 miles per year with occasional long trips - should I get a petrol or diesel car?

I'm considering a nearly new, top spec Nissan Qashqai and I'm unsure whether to opt for a petrol or diesel model. The car will be mostly used for commuting. My journey is 20 miles from home to office, half to two-thirds of the journey is 60-70mph roads. The rest is motorway stop-start congestion and typical rush hour town traffic. The car will also be used occasionally for long journeys to visit family (150+ miles). My annual mileage is unlikely to be more than 12,000 per year and I intend to keep the car for the long haul. On the diesel model, is the DPF technology similar to other manufacturers and potentially a cause for concern later in the car's life? Are there any alternatives to the Qashqai (in a similar price range) I should consider?

For 12,000 miles a year you can't justify diesel and the problems it is likely to bring. Better the 1.2 DIG-T or, for more performance, the 163PS 1.6 DIG-T. The Renault Kadjar is actually better than the Qashqai. Much tougher, especially with 4WD. But no 1.6 turbo petrol option yet. Make sure you order the car on 17-inch wheels with 215/60 R17 tyres. Don't go for the 19-inch bling wheels with 45 profile tyres or you'll regret it.