I keep receiving cold calls after a car accident - can I report these companies for hassling us?

Last November, my wife was involved in an accident when a third party drove into the nearside of her MINI. My wife was driving and I was in the front passenger seat. There was significant damage to the nearside of the vehiclebut there were no injuries to ourselves or the third party. The third party's insurance accepted liability and all costs were recovered. However, in the last 10 days we have received two separate cold telephone calls from companies both saying there is a pot of £2000 -£3000 set aside for our injuries and the mental stress we had been put through. I explained to both companies that we had neither been injured nor suffered mental stress, which didn't deter them from continuing with encouraging my wife and I to make a claim. In the end I told them had we had any injuries we would have made a claim at the time and that all their activities did was to increase all our motor insurance premiums, put the phone down and took note of the telephone numbers.
My question is, is there anyone, or organisation, to which I can report these cold calls? I think it is wrong that we are being encouraged to make unwarranted claims which, as I say, can only add to our already exorbitant motor insurance premiums.

Asked on 20 October 2017 by Keith Whiting

Answered by Tim Kelly
It depends on who the companies are. The relevance of this is, it depends on whether they are legitimate companies. The irony of the situation is that it's the very insurers you claim from that share your information. The other thing is, though these companies have contacted you, due to changes in regulation it is highly unlikely they do know you have been involved in an accident. They are basically blanket calling and you're presuming it's related to your previous incident. Did they quote your details, date of accident and insurers to you? If these companies are acting as "introducers" for Solicitors, then complain to the Solicitors Regulatory Authority www.sra.org.uk/home/home.page

If the company claims to be an "accident management company" or a " claims management company" then they should be regulated by the claims management regulator. Contact the Claims Management Regulator and complain to them: www.gov.uk/complain-about-claims-company

Also Register with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS). If you are registered with the TPS and still receive calls, you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) on 0300 123 3000.
Similar questions
My car was bumped in a car park this morning. The lady responsible admits it was her fault. The damage is not massive, but the BMW body shop estimate that repairs to the door include repainting more than...
A car was travelling towards me, the driver kept looking up and down into his lap and his vehicle wasn't travelling in a straight line. I took evasive action and moved slightly left as it was clear we’d...
A few months ago a woman stopped dead on a roundabout and I went in to the back of her car. I wasn't going fast and both cars were drivable afterwards. I had two kids in the back who were both fine. She...

Ask Honest John

Value my car