What is the best diesel option - Volvo S40, Volkswagen Passat or Jetta?

I'm looking for the best diesel option out of an 07/08 Volvo S40, Volkswagen Passat or Jetta. Reliability and fuel economy are my most important considerations. What would you recommend?

The S40 has Ford 1.6 and 2.0 TDCi engines. The Passat and Jetta have the troublesome VAG EA189 1.6 and 2.0 TDI engines. None of these have great records, though the 2.0 TDCi in Ford is better than the 1.6 and the 2.0 TDI in the Jetta are better than the 1.6s, and in the Passat the old 1.9 TDI was the best. Really, your best bet is a KIA Cee'd or Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi which are chain cam diesels and in your price range will be pre-DPF.