I do 15,000 miles per year - should I buy a diesel or hybrid to get the best economy and least trouble?

I'm currently running a 2009 Volkswagen Golf Plus 2.0 TDI that I've had for almost five trouble-free years. It'll be at 90,000 miles soon and I think I should get out before I have to spend money on it. I'm considering another diesel because of the way I use the car and I don't think I can stretch to something like the Peugeot 2008 with the 1.2 PureTech engine. Thinking of a used Honda Civic or a Renault Megane 1.6. Have these newer engines done away with any of the problems relating to DPFs?
I do 15 - 16,000 miles a year, no short journeys and want to keep the car for around five years. My other thought was a Toyota Auris hybrid. Do these achieve good mpg over a mix of A-roads and motorways?

Asked on 19 March 2017 by SON

I ran a Honda HR-V with Honda's 1.6 i-DTEC for a year and 12,000 miles and got nearly 60mpg and no trouble. Currently running a Kadjar with Renault's 1.6 dCi 130 but 4WD and getting nearly 50mpg. But the Kadjar does occasionally need to regenerate quite dramatically. I got 63mpg delivering a 2010 Auris hybrid 300 miles, so reckon on 50-60mpg from one of them with no DPF trouble.