Replacing an old Freelander - what should we get for £7k?

We have a Land Rover Freelander (mk1) diesel with 202,000 miles on the clock. Due to its age, it needs some considerable work and I am reluctant to pay for expensive repairs given the low value of the car and would like to trade it in for another SUV priced around £7k to £8k. What vehicle would you recommend and what would be a reasonable trade in to expect for the Freelander?

Asked on 31 July 2016 by nigel nix

For a Freelander in this state £500 if you're lucky. Not worthwhile for most garages to take it on. For £7k-£8k, assuming a need for 4WD, maybe a Suzuki Grand Vitara or possibly even a FIAT Panda 4x4. You might even get an early Dacia Duster 1.6 Access 4WD for your budget.