Insurance black boxes - do they check the speed limits?

Is it possible that the GPS technology used in black box monitoring systems can distinguish between 30mph and 20mph speed limits? The 20mph limits have mushroomed around our area in recent months and my 18 year old son seems to be spending more time looking at his dashboard rather than the road ahead.

Asked on 19 April 2016 by GM,Blackpool

Depends on the mapping. If the 20mph areas are digitally mapped, yes. If they aren't, no. If the 20mph zones are new since the box was installed then the box would probably need to be updated online to recognise the 20 zones.