Can you recommend a small 4x4 which is capable of traversing a steep driveway?

A single elderly lady has a 2.0-litre Subaru Impreza and wants to change to a smaller, more economical 4WD. I understand that the Fiat Panda is quite effective. Are there any others that you would recommend please? The reason for 4WD is that her driveway is very steep, so she gets stuck and can't get up to the road.

Asked on 5 October 2013 by BB, Colchester

If she wants it for snow or muddy tracks then Peugeot's 'Grip Control' on the 2008, or Fiat's 'Traction Plus' on the 500 Trekking or Panda Trekking would do the job fitted as standard, with Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons all-weather tyres. Otherwise, yes, the Fiat Panda 4x4 and similarly priced Suzuki Swift 4WD are currently the smallest four wheel drive cars. The Suzuki Jimny is still on sale, and is great off-road, but not very pleasant to drive on the road.