My friend is coming back to the UK from New Zealand for four months - should he lease or buy a car?

My best friend is coming back from New Zealand to the UK next year for four months, with his wife and two small children. He will be renovating a cottage in Scotland. I am trying to find out what is the best and cheapest way for him to get around. He needs a vehicle that can carry four people and luggage, and can also be used for the odd trip to the builder's merchant. I thought that buying a Mondeo estate with a towbar may be the answer. A trailer can carry the materials and the car is big and comfy enough to carry the family. Do you know of any long term rent/lease options available? Or is buying a £2000 Mondeo and selling it afterwards the way to go?

Asked on 5 June 2010 by hallbeck

Try www.dsgauto.com. He may not have much choice for a 4-month lease.