Can I insure a car I won't drive for a while?

I have bought a car for my son who will be 17 in early October, he is named on the V5. I would like to cover it for fire and theft whilst it is sat in my garage until his birthday, but have found it impossible to do so via any of the online comparison sites or our local broker. We have no intention of driving the car on the public highway until he is able to do so.

Additionally, the car is taxed, however if I can't get insurance cover do I need to make a SORN declaration?

Asked on 26 August 2012 by Ian R

Answered by Honest John
If you can't get insurance you have to SORN it or you will be fined. Probably better to insure it and use it and add him to the policy when he is 17.
Similar questions
Can my SORN'd, uninsured car be driven to it's pre-booked MOT by the garage proprietor/MOT tester using his own insurance?
Are there any specific car insurances for sorned cars which allow me to keep my no claim discounts?
I have my Porsche 911 that's been SORN for a few years. Can I just insure it so I can drive it to my mechanics for an MoT or will I have to un-SORN it first?

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer