How can I obtain a better insurance payout for my written-off Ford Racing Puma?

I was recently involved in a car crash. The resulting damage to my car has meant that it has been written off by my insurance company. The car is a Ford Racing Puma and was insured for £6,000. An independent assessor came and viewed the car and in his report said that the car was "in very good condition and had below average mileage”. It also states that as the car is a limited edition it is not possible to use Glass's Guide to find a value. I have been offered £5,500, but by looking at adverts for similar condition Racing Pumas for sale it would cost between £6,000 - £7,000 to replace the vehicle. I have explained this to my insurance company, but they are saying that as the assessor is independent the valuation stands, and that my only option is to write a letter explaining my disagreement. Which I have done, and am awaiting a reply. I would be grateful for any advice you can give me.

Asked on 4 June 2011 by IP, Brentwood

The Racing Puma is in Glass’s Guide at values from £850 trade for a 99V to £2,700 retail for a 2000X. I think that the only way you can get more money is by proving that it could not be replaced for the amount offered. Really, it should have been covered by an agreed value classic car policy in the first place, not an ordinary policy.