My insurer have paid out for a total loss - how do I make sure it's an accurate valuation?

My insurance company have said my car is total loss. I put in an estimated value of £700, which is what they say it's worth (minus my excess). Do they only pay out what my estimated value was? How do I know this is correct?

Asked on 26 July 2017 by DEBRA TURTON

They should pay out the market value at the time of loss, it should not matter what value you place on it. The best way is to look in the marketplace and see if you can replace it for the sum offered.