I bought a car but the V5C is missing - what can I do?

I have taken delivery of a car from a dealer. On delivery the paper were missing the V5C and it came with a part completed V62. I have tried to register and tax car online - no luck. I took documents into post office who says cannot process and I must send V62 off to DVLA ( wait time 4-6 weeks) to get a V5C and then I can tax car. This means I cannot drive a car I have paid for and I am insuring. Any advice?

Asked on 1 February 2024 by cw

Answered by David Ross
We would expect the dealer to provide the required documents when selling a car - a replacement V5C can be ordered online via the DVLA and is usually delivered within 5 days for £25, so we would suggest this as a quicker option than sending the V62.
Tags: dvla dealers v5
Similar questions
I bought a car from a major dealership and informed them it would be used as a taxi. I told them I needed to book the car in for its taxi test in five days, which they said was fine and that the car would...
My car was written off by my insurer. They have asked me to send them part of the log book, but I don't know whether to leave it blank or write the insurer as the new keeper. They said to send the other...
I have a 1953 Ford Popular which has been off the road since 1995 on a SORN. I have moved in that time and only have the V5 not the V5C. It has my old address on so how do I go about retaxing the car?

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer