Squeaking air con fan on Audi TT - should the dealer repair or replace?

We bought a 2014 Audi TT with 38,000 miles on the clock from an independent dealer. The air con makes an annoying squeak; not loud, just persistent. We notified the dealer within a few days of purchase. The dealer offered to remove the fan motor and lubricate it but our usual garage says this won't work and that you'd need to replace the fan motor as the bearings are worn (total cost £800!) The dealer then offered to pay £100 towards replacing it. Is it reasonable to expect the selling dealer to replace the air con fan or pay the full cost of £800? Or because this is a 7 year old car would only major faults be covered?

Asked on 7 February 2022 by PAUL SMITH

The 2015 Consumer Rights Act give you the right to a free repair. But it doesn't give you the right to demand a new fan motor. The dealer will reasonably argue that lubricating the motor will correct the fault.

I would personally accept the repair at face value, but ask the dealer to provide a warranty (in writing) for the work carried out, which means they will pay to replace the motor free of charge if it fails within 12 months.

For your consumer rights, see: www.honestjohn.co.uk/how-to-reject-a-car-your-cons.../