Help!!! Car insurance for broadcaster and teenager

I am a staff continuity announcer at a TV channel, with a 17 year old son who has just passed his driving test.

I am currently insured by the RAC for an annual premium of £260. The quote to include my son on the same premium with the RAC is £2,700 p.a.However, I can insure my son as a named driver on my car (Hyundai Comfort 1.1)with Aviva, with my husband (a police officer) as the owner for £800 p/a but Aviva will not quote for me because of my profession.

Is it legal for me to continue with my RAC insurance premium, but to insure my husband and son with Aviva? If not, what do you suggest? I am unlucky in that companies who will quote for me are asking for a prohibitive sum for me to insure my son, yet companies who will insure my son for a reasonable amount will not quote for me. Surely there is a company out there who can do both without charging the earth?

Asked on 9 January 2011 by Liz Scourfield

Answered by Honest John
No, you can't have two different insurance policies on the same car. But talk to a decent broker such as
Similar questions
My insurance company have cancelled my van insurance due to a mistake that was made when purchasing online. I forgot to declare a motoring conviction for a bald tire I received four years ago, will this...
Today I received my car insurance renewal and was asked for a 25% increase in premium. This in spite of having nine years 'protected' no-claims discount. I have been driving since 1963 and have never had...
I am looking for advice on motor insurance. Last week I made a claim on my motor insurance policy with RIAS. The claim was made over the phone, and during the conversation I obviously mentioned that I...

Value my car