Accident reporting - who should be contacted first?

A car manufacturer has encouraged us to contact them first in the event of an accident, even before my insurer. I thought insurance companies say you should contact them first. What would happen if I had an accident and contacted the car manufacturer first? Would my insurer be annoyed with me for doing this?

Asked on 1 December 2021 by

Answered by Sarah Tooze
I would suggest that you contact your insurance provider in the first instance. It may be that the manufacturer is trying to ensure the car is repaired through its network but it's difficult to comment without knowing details such as whether you have leased the car from the manufacturer.
Tags: accidents
Similar questions
I was hit in a supermarket car park by a driver who did not stop. Can I request the address of the owner from DVLA as I have a photo of the car showing the number plate?
My vehicle was parked but the handbrake wasn't on properly. It rolled back into a parked car causing a very minor damage. You could see where it had bumped and bent it, which grazed the paint on the bumper...
My son is a learner driver with full learner driver insurance. We were out driving the other day when an intoxicated driver went straight into the back of his car. The guy has admitted fault and all is...

Value my car