Rank Vectra

I run a 2005 Vauxhall Vectra 1.9CDTI 120 as a taxi, purchased new. The dual mass flywheel was replaced under warranty at 42,000 miles, and has just been replaced at 102,000 miles, at £1,000 it is an expensive item to replace. Colleagues have experienced similar problems with Fords, the Mondeo being particularly bad with two or three being replaced under warranty. Skodas also have a problem, and KIAs last about 32,000 miles. Skoda offers a solid (normal) flywheel as a replacement showing there was no need for such a complicated item in the first place. Do you have any comments?

Asked on 5 September 2009 by

The entire car industry knows that DMFs have been an unmitigated disaster and that is why the latest Fiesta diesels use electronics rather than DMFs to do the same job, which is mainly to protect the transmission from the torque reaction of upchanges from 1st to 2nd.