Should I buy an extended warranty?

in September 2019, I bought a 2018 Volkswagen Passat and I've been very pleased indeed with it. The only feature I've had any problems with is the WeConnectGo app, which tends to drop its connection to the data after a while, and seems to be quite a heavy background phone battery consumer. I've just received an extended warranty offer from the retailer I bought the car from. It would be to take over from the manufacturer's warranty when that expires at the end of April, for a price of £450. I would like to hear your view of whether it would be a good idea to purchase this, take out an independent third party extended warranty, or do nothing. Thanks in advance.

Asked on 8 March 2021 by daisy42

Answered by Russell Campbell
There's no way around this, you'll need to read the small print of all your options and decide yourself which works best for you, however, £450 sounds like a good price. I'd be tempted to try and get an extension from VW, but whether that's an option will depend on the condition of your car. Your car's seven-speed DSG should be more reliable than the six-speed version on older models, too.