What are your views on using online retailers?

What are your views on using online retailers? They seem particularly attractive during this lockdown period?

Asked on 22 January 2021 by John Pemberton

The big ones (heycar, Cazoo etc) are a smart choice, especially in lockdown - as you say. I certainly wouldn't advise going to see a car from a private seller right now, and I wouldn't feel that confident putting money down somewhere like eBay without seeing the vehicle. You'll get more buyer protection by using one of the big online retailers, and many of them are offering special deals like free delivery - as well as a sound warranty when you buy a car. We have a page explaining both Cazoo and heycar, which I'll link to below.

In short, rather than listing used cars owned by franchised dealers, Cazoo essentially buys up its own stock of about 1500 cars (give or take) and sells them on through its website. It's a little bit like Amazon for cars. Heycar is an online-only, used car marketplace that launched in the UK in 2019. Unlike other used car sites, it only partners with selected dealers and only lists vehicles that meet its quality criteria (no more than 8 years on the road and 100,000 miles on the clock). If you're looking for a quality used car, heycar is fairly straightforward to use and you won't have to worry about trawling through promoted ads, untrustworthy listings, vehicles that'll break down on the drive home etc.

Heycar: www.honestjohn.co.uk/what-is-heycar-why-use-it

Cazoo: www.honestjohn.co.uk/what-is-cazoo-and-why-should-...t