I unknowingly bought a Cat S write off. How do I recover my costs?

I’ve bought a Cat S vehicle by accident as it wasn’t on the write off database and the HPI search was clear. I’ve spoken to the salvage yard and it was written off but never recorded as Cat S. The dealer is ignoring me. Is my only option to bring legal action to recover my costs?

Asked on 9 November 2020 by Michael Hudson

Answered by Georgia Petrie
You don't say when you bought the vehicle but you have a legal right to reject within 30 days. This is the short-term right to reject rule under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. I would ring Citizens Advice as soon as possible, but it all depends on when you bought the car. If you haven't already, you should send a physical letter by recorded post to the dealer's address as proof of complaint. Get some advice from CA and go from there. It may require a legal route, though.
Similar questions
I bought a one previous owner 2015 Honda HR-V 2015 and the clutch has burnt out at 26000 miles. How do I get the main dealer to agree that clutch must have been very worn when they sold it?
I’ve bought a car through a salvage auction site. It's registered as a Category N write off, but upon inspection of the car at my local garage, the car has structural damage to the rear subframe and possibly...
I bought a car privately but when the certificate returned to me through the post, it says that the car is a Cat S. I was never told that when buying it or I would not have bought it. Where do I stand...