I can't renew my driving licence online and can't reach DVLA. Can you help?

Several times I've tried to renew my licence online, each time I'm told that it's expired and the photo is out of date. Both are wrong; my licence expires in two weeks and my passport photo is only two years old. I cannot contact DVLA, even writing to the CEO has not been responded to. There is a seemingly contradictory statement on the DVLA website that licences expiring between Feb and August 2020 will be automatically extended for seven months but I can't verify this. Can you help? Thanks.

Asked on 16 June 2020 by David B

The seven-month extension does not apply to drivers who are renewing their entitlement to drive - this means the over-70s are excluded from the seven-month extension. The extension only applies to the photocard, which must be renewed every ten years. This means that if a driver’s entitlement to drive is due to expire and they wish to continue to hold a valid licence, they will need to renew this entitlement in the normal way: www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/coronavirus/2020-06/dvla.../

I'm afraid we haven't had any luck with getting a reply from the DVLA either. Therefore, we can't offer any advice unfortunately. It's a very frustrating situation and we've had a multitude of similar reports from other readers. Our hope is that as lockdown eases, and the DVLA have more staff in and start working through the backlog of applications they've got, the delays will become less severe.