When should I realistically get a timing belt replaced?

I recently had my five-year-old Skoda Fabia serviced at the Skoda dealer. It has a full service history and has always been serviced at the dealership. It's done just under 40,000 miles and the dealership said it was due to have the timing belt replaced. As this is a £500 job, I said no this time. I'm sure my last car - a Ford Focus - was around 60k - 75k miles before it was done. Do you think I'm taking a big risk not getting it done now? I do approx 7500 miles a year.

Asked on 3 March 2020 by Denise Webb

I would get it done now. As a rule, I recommend changing the timing belt, tensioner, waterpump (if driven by the timing belt) and auxiliaries belt every five years or every 60,000 miles - whichever comes first.
Tags: timing belt