Does the timing belt in a Ford Focus last the lifetime of the car?

You have recently given a number of answers on timing belts, e.g. on length of time before fitting a new belt and failures on the Ford Fiesta. I have a Ford Focus with a 1.0-litre turbocharged engine (125PS), registered September 2016, which has only done 24,000 miles due to Covid. Does this car need a timing belt change shortly? I have looked in the handbook and maintenance schedule booklet, but neither makes any mention or recommendation for a belt change. In a recent reply, you reported that the Fiesta now has a belt that runs in oil and will therefore last the whole lifetime of the car. Is this also true of the Focus? Thanks.

Asked on 12 July 2021 by David Morton

The timing belt in the 1.0 EcoBoost petrol engine is designed to last the life of the car. There have been cases of the belt being changed at 10 years/150,000 miles, following a mechanical inspection, but it's a huge job and one that will set you back around £1000.
Tags: timing belt