No Claims Discord

There seems to be a certain amount of scepticism about the value of a protected no claims discount. Press comment seems to suggest that whilst you may keep your 60% discount if you claim, the insurance company is likely to double your basic premium and leave you worse off in any case. However, I am not clear what would happen if you moved your insurance to another company. Does your renewal notice still show your original no claim discount or is it that you have to declare a claim even if it was a protected NCD and if you did what would happen?

Asked on 27 March 2010 by D.N., Colchester

You have to disclose everything. But SAGA and RIAS seem to behave differently, by which I mean behave favourably towards their policyholders in this respect.