What's the beast way to prevent catalytic converter theft?

The Toyota Prius seems to be more susceptible to theft of its catalytic converter than most other vehicles. I have a Prius. The official Toyota theft prevention system is expensive and seems to be forever "available soon". About 10 years ago you said the Cat Clamp had been introduced. Is this the best option to prevent converter theft?

Hi Andrew, you're correct, thieves target easily identifiable hybrid cars - like the Toyota Prius - in order to cut the catalytic converter out. Two metals found in catalytic converters have increased exponentially in value with Rhodium trading at double its price at the start of the year and more than eight times its value three years ago. The catalytic converters on hybrid vehicles - which are powered by electric and petrol or diesel - are also used less frequently to remove pollutants. The metals are therefore less likely to corrode, which is another reason why they're more likely to be targeted for theft.

We've put together this Top 10 to offer some advice about preventing the theft of cat converters, which includes the Cat Clamp at number 8: kit.honestjohn.co.uk/top-tens/top-10-ways-to-preve...t

The CatClamp, as the name suggests, 'clamps' to the exhaust pipes, allowing different sized and shaped converters to be protected. Locked to the vehicle’s chassis up to seven times, it makes stealing your catalytic converter very difficult for a thief in a hurry. Three options are available, starting at £99 (CatClampEconomy) and topping out at £350 for the CatClamp MAXX³. More details and buying options can be found on the CatClamp website - however - we haven't personally tested the device ourselves.