Can I hire a car in the UK if I have a Portuguese driving licence?

At the moment I live in Portugal and due to the Brexit situation, the advice was to exchange my British driving licence for a Portuguese one. This I have done with no problem but as we come over to the UK and hire a car, usually at Christmas will I need an International driving licence issued in Portugal to hire a car in the UK?

You do not require an international driving licence. You can drive any type of vehicle in the UK that's listed on your full and valid EU licence.