Can I reject a car after the same fault has occurred twice?

My used Land Rover Discovery Sport was bought from main a dealer in 2018 as an ex-demonstrator. After four months the engine was replaced under warranty. After another four months during a service, the fault was found to have reoccurred. The balancing shaft had failed again - Land Rover had apparently supplied a replacement engine without the modification. They say it’s now fixed. I have rejected this car as I am not happy that the problem won’t reoccur. Am I within my rights?

Asked on 11 September 2019 by Robert Price

I don't think so. The old rule was three attempts then rejection, not two. And in your case it was the dealer who found the fault the second time. Law here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/