Nissan Note

My lady wife discovered the delights of black ice on the A1 last week (she is fine) and Aviva have written off her PT Cruiser. We were thinking of changing it anyway. Her two replacement choices were the Honda Jazz and Nissan Note; she wants an automatic. The Jazz i-shift I did not like very much and thought the Note much snappier and it has more room - I am 6' 4".

Are we mad to prefer the Note automatic? We cannot wait for the CVT Jazz in March.

We have been offered, by 2 different Nissan dealers (in the desired/required colour) firstly; a March '10 model with only 450 miles; I remember reading your warnings about cars standing idle for months, secondly a Dec '09 model with 16000 miles, which has just had its first service! this cannot have done much good. Alternatively, would we be better to go for one of two Sep '09 cars with 2400 or 3400 miles? All the cars are ex-motability ones.

Always read your Telegraph column with great interest.

Asked on 31 December 2010 by spanner1953

All depends on price. But if they are priced properly, then the 16k mile Dec 09 makes the most sense.

Assuming they are all Visia autos, the high mileage 09/59 should be £8,500 retail, the low mileage 59s should be about £9,000, and the 10 reg with 450 miles should be £9,500.

If the dealer wants £10k or more for the 10 reg, that's too much. If the 10 reg is £9,500 or less then that's the one to go for.

HJ