What's the best family SUV?

We are looking for a car to do approx 10-12k miles per year, with lots of short journeys, some mid distance journeys and few longer ones. We are a tall family of four (up to 6ft 4) and generally find cars with panoramic roofs too cramped unless they are large cars. We have tried quite a few cars and the Peugeot 3008 seems good, but we unsure what engine/gearbox to go for. Our preference would be an automatic. What engine/gearbox combination would you recommend and are there any other cars you think we should consider? We are looking at new / nearly new, and will probably keep the car for 4-5 years and are unsure what combination is practical and likely to still have a resale value in five years time

A petrol sounds like the best option for your journeys. I'd recommend the 1.2-litre Puretech in the 3008 - it's surprisingly punchy for its size and more economical than the 1.6. The eight-speed automatic gearbox works well and really suits the car, so that's what I'd choose.

You could also look at the Citroen C5 Aircross. It shares a platform with the Peugeot but is more practical and focused on comfort, which might suit your requirements. It doesn't feel quite as premium, though. I'd also recommend looking at the Kia Sportage. It feels a little dated but it represents good value for money and comes with a long seven-year warranty.