What's the most reliable family hatchback for £5000?

I'm looking to replace a 55 plate Ford Focus diesel with a similar-size family hatchback, this time petrol. Reliability and economy are top of the list. I'm currently doing 25 miles a day on A roads and traffic jams with motorway driving at weekends and school holidays. My budget is £5000, what sort of existing miles on a car should I aim for?

Asked on 29 January 2019 by Casper Spouncer

I wouldn't be too concerned about mileage - buy on condition, age and service history rather than how many miles it's done. Most engines are capable of covering well over 100,000 miles with regular servicing. I'd recommend the Honda Civic. Your budget will get you a 2010 model with the 1.8-litre petrol engine.