We bought a car four months ago and now the alternator needs replacing - is the dealer who sold us the car liable?

My father-in-law bought a car four months ago and the alternator has gone. The garage are refusing to touch it saying it's wear and tear. Are they right

Strictly speaking, the supplier is liable for any fault that could have been "present or developing on date of sale for six months from the date of sale" so give the supplier the opportunity (in writing) to replace the alternator and if he refuses to do so have it replaced elsewhere then use Small Claims to sue him for the cost: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/ Small Claims: www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money