I've been told by insurers that I don't qualify for no claims discount - even though I haven't made any claims in the last 10 years?

I am retired and gave up my car and started to share my wife's car. I was added to her policy as a named driver. Recently I considered getting my own car again but was told by insurers that I wouldn't qualify for any No Claims Discount even though I haven't had any claims for at least 10 years. I don't have any points on my licence and have been driving for over 40 years. How should I respond to get all my years of No Claims as a fair discount?

Asked on 25 January 2019 by Michael Fisher

There is something missing here, I am guessing you have been driving your wife's car for more than three years. If you have, you have lost the claims you had on your old policy. Alternatively, you might be saying you have not accrued any no claims discount of your wife's policy, which is correct, as you would not.
If you have been driving your wife's vehicle for less than three years, then the no claims bonus you will have had from your own insurance policy will still be valid.