I kept a car I was selling in a garage without insurance for a few days - did I commit an offence but not submitting a SORN?

I recently kept my car taxed but not insured in my private garage for a few days before selling. I took temporary insurance to demonstrate the car. Did I commit a criminal offence by not submitting a SORN? I ask because a renewal notice on another vehicle suggests there are no exceptions.

Asked on 19 November 2018 by Keith

You need to have a continual policy of insurance in place so technically, yes you have committed an offence. But it would be rare any action would be taken against you.