My son has a Canadian driving licence - can he be insured on our UK car?

My son, aged 39, has had a full UK driving licence since he was 17. He is a named driver on my wife's car as he travels extensively with work and is only back in the UK for four to six weeks a year. He is now working in Canada and as part of the process for temporary residency had to surrender his UK licence for a Canadian one. They wouldn't let him have two licences. He is coming home for Christmas and has only had the Canadian licence for a couple of months. What do I do about the car insurance? My renewal is due next month and I would like to keep him as a named driver.

Asked on 9 October 2018 by BJP

Use www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence, based on this, there should be no issue in your son driving on the Canadian licence, the issue arise in that the UK insurer may not provide cover as not a UK licence. You will need to contact your insurer to see whether they will or will not provide cover for you Son. You then know whether to take him off or not.