How do I get my car, which is registered in France, insured to drive it back to Scotland?

I'm giving a 1991 BMW 5 Series to my brother-in-law in Scotland. The car has been French registered and is on French plates. How can he get British insurance to drive it from France to Scotland, and can you direct me to a guide for re-registering the car in the UK? I have found the DVLA site unhelpful.

As long as the vehicle is being used as soon as you take the policy out to come back to the UK, most UK insurers should have no issue with putting it on cover if you phone and explain the issue to them. The alternative is to insure the vehicle in France (this will provide EU cover), then drive it to the UK. Use www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk and www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/register...e.

You will need to order the DVLA import pack, that will make much more sense to you. You will need proof of vehicle approval, but that should not be to much of an issue as the vehicle is already type approved in the UK.