My car has been seized by the police - what do I do about insurance?

My car was impounded by the police because it is suspected of being in a crime (not by me) and I won’t be getting it back until they have have finished the investigation. I am buying a cheap runaround to use until I get it back. Do I transfer my insurance to my little runaround car? If I do that that will mean the impounded car won’t be insured or can I drive my runaround using the other cars insurance as I’m insured to drive other cars?

Asked on 6 August 2018 by Michelle Richardson

Answered by Honest John
The police have a duty of care to your vehicle as a "bailee" of your property (look up the law of bailment). You cannot use your current insurance on the "extension to drive other vehicles" as you are only covered to drive other vehicles not owned by you. I would transfer the insurance from your old insurance to your new one.
Similar questions
Why do the police require dashcam footage for one minute before and after an incident? I reported an incident that occurred less than a minute before parking at home when the recording stopped when the...
I was returning home in my work vehicle and swerved to avoid a cat, hitting a hedge. Damage to the hedge appeared minimal and there didn't appear to be anyone about so I continued on my journey. The home...
This weekend I have witnessed two examples of extremely dangerous driving - a driver overtaking a line of cars and a group of cyclists without any chance of seeing approaching traffic and a sports car...

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer