Can a dealer sell a car without offering a warranty?

My cousin has bought a used car from a Citroen garage. She was offered a good part exchange but the salesman told her the car did not come with a warranty. Is he able to get out of his legal liability in this way? If not, what is the chapter and verse that she can quote in the event of a problem?

If a dealer sells a car he his liable for any significant fault that could have been present or developing on date of sale for six months from date of sale. He cannot escape this liability unless the car was sold as a non-runner or for scrap. See: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/