Ford C-MAX - Ding'ed by neighbour, what to tell insurer... - cerebros

Hi folks,

One of my neighbours backed into my C-max when parking his truck last night, leaving the inevitable dent and loss of paint.

He's wanting to get the repairs done without going through the insurance as the repair will probably be within the excess amount on his policy (obviously I'll be getting quotes first) and in theory I've no issues with that as it'll probably get sorted quicker than waiting for the insurers to sort things out.

However, what, if anything, do I need to tell my insurer. I'm not making a claim but could I run into issues if, for example, I'm not using a bodyshop on their approved list and I later need to make a claim and haven't told them about work being done?

Ford C-MAX - Ding'ed by neighbour, what to tell insurer... - Rachaelink

He would not need to pay an excess in order to have your damage fixed, only if he were wanting his own damage repaired.

He is wanting to avoid insurance companies in order to prevent his NCD being affected. For the most part people do not tell their insurer about these sorts of incidents, however you are obliged to tell your insurer about all losses/accidents at each renewal.

You can notify your insurer of the loss, you would not need to go through the claims process as you do not wish to utlise their services, just call customer service and let them know.

Ford C-MAX - Ding'ed by neighbour, what to tell insurer... - cerebros

Would I need to tell them now or once the repairs have been done and the cost of them is known?

Ford C-MAX - Ding'ed by neighbour, what to tell insurer... - Armitage Shanks {p}

The cost is not the issue, the fact that an "incident" has occurred is what they need to be told about

Ford C-MAX - Ding'ed by neighbour, what to tell insurer... - Simon

If the guy is going to pay up without making a fuss then I would keep quiet to your insurance company. If you mention this incident to them at any point it will count against YOU for the next five years as each time you renew your insurance you will have to declare 'any accidents, claims or convictions in the past five years'. That loads your premium whether you were at fault or not...

Most people do not tell their insurer about these sorts of things, the problem arises when there are opportunistic injury claims that follow afterwards and the insurance companies need to get involved months down the line.

In your case though, I assume your vehicle was empty, and the neighbour is totally at fault so there is no chance of this happening. Its up to you if you advise them or not, I cannot see that they would find out if you didnt given the circumstances.

Ford C-MAX - Ding'ed by neighbour, what to tell insurer... - Problem_Polo :-/

I have to say, this is news to me! Are you honestly obliged to inform your insurer of an incident in which your vehicle was parked and empty, and the resulting damage from which was repared privately? An incident in which the insurance industry was in no way involved? This seems pointless, what does an insurer have to gain from this knowledge?

Keep quiet, they don't need to know anything about this. You are only giving them 'amunittion' with which to rip you off next time round.

Edited by Problem_Polo :-/ on 05/01/2013 at 23:44

Ford C-MAX - Ding'ed by neighbour, what to tell insurer... - RT

I have to say, this is news to me! Are you honestly obliged to inform your insurer of an incident in which your vehicle was parked and empty, and the resulting damage from which was repared privately? An incident in which the insurance industry was in no way involved? This seems pointless, what does an insurer have to gain from this knowledge?

Keep quiet, they don't need to know anything about this. You are only giving them 'amunittion' with which to rip you off next time round.

It's a material matter that the insurer asks a very clear specific question about, ie "any accidents, claims or convictions".

Good insurers don't increase the premium after no-fault claims - but it's no surprise they don't trust any customers to tell the truth if the "keep quiet" attitude exists.

Yeah its a material fact! Insurers would just note it somewhere but its something that needs to be divulged.

If his car gets pranged repeatedly because his neighbour cannot drive for pennies, then the neighbour might not be so honest next time and keep quiet. Perhaps the next time it will be a random third party and its more to do with the area that this vehicle is parked. Just because this one time it was sorted amicably and off the books so to speak, it does not mean that the same will hold true next time.

Ford C-MAX - Ding'ed by neighbour, what to tell insurer... - Collos25

Good insurers don't increase the premium after no-fault claims - but it's no surprise they don't trust any customers to tell the truth if the "keep quiet" attitude exists.

Oh yes they do.

Oh yes they do.

I can only speak as I find, they didn't for me - maybe the difference is good insurers and cheap insurers.

Ford C-MAX - Ding'ed by neighbour, what to tell insurer... - Simon

Oh yes they do.

I can only speak as I find, they didn't for me - maybe the difference is good insurers and cheap insurers.

Maybe its because your 'good insurer' has already had your pants down with regard to your premium that you paid, where as our 'cheap insurers' are better value for money...

Maybe its because your 'good insurer' has already had your pants down with regard to your premium that you paid, where as our 'cheap insurers' are better value for money...

I check every year and usually switch insurer each time - this one has come out cheapest for the last 4 years but it's through an affinity scheme which might also make a difference.

It's just been renewed at £360, down from £390 previous year which is respectable for a higher than average mileage Group 30 car.