Collecting new car - anything I should check for? - Rebecca
I'm collected my new car this week, but have never had a brand new one before.

Are there any specific things I should check for before driving off the forecourt? Do I lose any rights if I haven't spotted something before I leave?

Hope someone can help (again).
Re: Collecting new car - anything I should check f - Neil
Treat the car as you would buying a second-hand car. Don't sign anything until you've inspected the car thoroughly for scratches, dents, and other marks. If the car is dirty, ask them to clean it properly as the dirt could be hiding scuffs and scrapes.

Have the wheels been kerbed, is the car clean inside, how much fuel is in and how far will it get you?

Is all the trim intact, do the windows and lights work, how do you get to the spare wheel, where are the boot and bonnet releases, is there an initial service, what do the controls do, is there anything to pay special attention to during the first 1000-2000 miles?

Ask what happens if there's a fault with the car - is there a recovery service - what work did they need to do for the pre-delivery inspection - was any remedial work required?

In my experience, this is the part of the buying experience that car retailers have failed on time and time again. You're spending upwards of £6000 and they tick off a list of things they clearly haven't done but should as part of the hand-over. Take your time and don't sign until you're happy with the service and with the car.
Re: Collecting new car - anything I should check f - Phil C
As I have learnt from my own bitter experience check the bodywork very carefully (see my previous post 4 threads down).

As I have stated in that thread having now washed the car twice I have found blemishes etc which I suspect were polished over during the pre-forecourt and pre-sale valetting process.

Also make sure/check that everything is working (electrics/lights etc.).

I deliberately asked the salesman at pickup whether all the bulbs were in working order to which he said 'yes' only to find that the boot courtesy light bulb had been taken out to stop the battery going flat when the car was on display on the forecourt with it's boot open.

Just be very careful and don't let them rush your inspection.

All the best.
Re: Collecting new car - anything I should check f - Stuart B
I am sorry Rebecca this is not an answer but an add on to your question.

For most of us, myself certainly, the purchase of a new car is the biggest single personal financial transaction after buying a house. Consider the following. Firstly most people do not buy a house without some sort of survey, and in my experience it certainly helps to have some professional backup to keep the builders in line. Secondly most people do not know as much about motors as they like to pretend, just that some are prepared to admit it. Therefore as for a second hand car is it worth investing in an independant engineers report, especially on bodywork?

Having said that three out my last six cars have been delivered without a single fault, even after the first wash. So maybe the bad old days of the VW with a scratched bonnet, Cavalier with most of its electrics inop are mybe behind us.

Just to stir the pot in the VW/Pug argument two of those perfect cars were Pugs. The Veedub was a nightmare, both on delivery and in the 4 years we had it in service.
Re: Collecting new car - anything I should check f - Matt
Mostly the silly little things that I had trouble with eg alloy wheel locking nut key, always a bonus to actually have it as you drive off!! Tyres with punctures in already, not found until a few days later!

It was summer and wasn't raining when I bought my last car, had it been I would have been hard pushed to miss the leaking door seal!!

Didn't turn the stereo on until I was on the way back, it didn't work + no code for it!

And finally didn't bother to look under the bonnet assuming all would be well, when I did as I arrived home the catch was broken and I couldn't open it!!

After getting everything fixed (under the warranty but annoyingly having to return to the garage several times) I have been very pleased every since.

I think that the other suggestions of issues are very accurate.

CHECK EVERYTHING YOU CAN REMEMBER TO YOURSELF BEFORE YOU LEAVE.
Bodywork and paint. - David Woollard
Rebecca,

As some of the guys have said bodywork and paint are crucial. Damaged tyres, missing bulbs and other mechanical defects are reasonably easy to demonstrate and resolve.

But accept a car with a paint fault and it is the very devil to.......1. Prove you didn't cause it after collection....2.Find a resolution to the complaint, you don't want your brand new car re-sprayed in the first month.

I hope it goes well and you enjoy it.

David
Re: Bodywork and paint. - Andrew Tarr
Rebecca, you've had plenty of good advice from the lads. The snag with a brand-new is that you can't rely on any previous owner having found most of them already - it's all up to you. So just in case you wouldn't normally, look under the bonnet for leaks or other danger signs. Look for a 'buying a used car' checklist in one of the price guides in case you overlook anything.
Re: Collecting new car - anything I should check f - Ian Cook
Rebecca

In addition to all the other useful advice ask the dealer with paperwork should be with the car (and then check) - things like:

Handbook
Warranty books
Service books
Security info - some cars have special plastic cards
Radio code/immobiliser code
Keys (quantity)

Ian
Re: Collecting new car - anything I should check f - Stuart B
Sorry to take issue here but nobody has answered my question?

In the starry eyed moment when you get your very first new car, and even later when you are an old hand, its really very very difficult to do all this objectively. To remember all the things unless you make a check list. Plus maybe its the not so obvious things that will in the long term prove to be the real bummer, like a paintwork repair due to lets say it getting damaged at the docks which then fades, does not match, whatever. Or a paintwork repair that has to be done because of something you did not spot at the collection time. As David W says its the very devil to resolve.

I maintain that most people (ie general public) do not know enough about cars to spot some of these things. The manufacturers and dealers are light years better than they were, but how many complaints and problems do HJ and trading standards still get. True some are not immediately detectable, but some clearly are. I just asked the question as to whether people thought that it was worthwhile to have a service where an independant expert can objectively look at your new motor without the rose tinted specs that we all wear on the collection day. It works on new houses, but then all builders are cowboys are they not? There another nice bit of social stereotyping.

All the suggestions to Rebecca above are excellent, including some I would never have thought of in a thousand years, but then maybe I have been lucky.