Ford Focus - Rejection of car - jimmyears

Hello in need of serious help.

Less than a month ago we purchased a 2 year old car from a well known ford dealership E/H in edinburgh for £7202.

There was a delay in them releasing the vehicle to us as they said they had discovered a leak from a door seal which they were going to sort before handing over the car to us. A week later we picked up the car and noticed it was stinking of febreze which they said they did as standard to all sales. We now realise this was done to mask the stench of the damp within.After 2 days the febreze wore off and we noticed a damp musty smell. On further inspection we noticed the leak had not been fixed at all and all the carpets were soaking. We took the car back to them and they agreed to repair it again the following week but no courtesy car was offered this time the windscreen was replaced.After picking the car up again we noticed the carpets were still all damp and although they said they had repaired the leak which we do not know if they did or not, the carpets had not been dried out/ renewed so the car is still damp and smelly. I contacted them right away and they said some one would contact us and we are still awaiting the phone call. 1 week later I phoned and was informed that the service manager will contact me that day no call happened. our baby was born and we now have a 2 week old baby and a 3 year old toddler who have never been in the car as we are afraid for their health, after driving it we are left with a sore throat and our clothes stink so it has been left in our garage unused whenever it has not been back at the dealership. Of the 4 weeks we have had the car, we have only had 3 days use out of it and that was the initial period before the febreze wore off.

So this time instead of taking the car back to have another botched repair done, we advised them by letter that we were rejecting the car under the Sale of Goods Act as it was not of suitable quality or fit for purpose. The letter was dated less than 2 weeks after the date of purchase. It has been completely ignored.

Numerous phone calls, emails and visits to the show room regarding this have all met with a negative result. When we contacted CAB they advised us to hand the car and keys back in to the dealership with another letter again advising the vehicle is rejected and a refund is required. We did this but then when we spoke to Consumers Direct they said we shouldn't have given them the car back and to go pick the car back up! When we went to collect the car withourt prejudice the dealership said to leave the car with them and they would attempt to dry it out as they woud have to do this any way they are putting the car in the spray oven with the windows down!!!!!. We said feel free but we are still rejecting the car and require a full refund. I mention about an exchange car on the forecourt to which they replied the maximum they would offer us is a part exchange to another vehicle, and the most they would offer us for our car is trade in of £6200! and they would only offer a car of lesser spec to the one we have. So not only have they sold us a dud car but they want to rip us off for £1000 as well. we have refused this also stating that we only accept the full cost of the car we paid for plus anything money we have to add.

The garage is refusing to accept our right under the SOGA to a full refund so the dispute just seems to be dragging on and on no matter how many times we contact them or go up the line to their parent company pendragon, our letters are all completely ignored.

We contacted a lawyer last night who advised us to email again our wish for a full refund or part exchange to the full value of what we have paid and a reply within 7 days to prevent legal action.

We are both ill with the stress and depression due to it all and having a new baby as well. Do you think we'll have to take them to court? How do we go about this and how much will it cost? All we want is our money back to draw a line under the whole nasty episode but they are just laughing at us. We thought we were protected under SOGA but how can we hold them to account if they refuse to interact with us?

they asked us how many miles we had done since purchase and I informed them that the mileage on the puchase receipt 40051 and the mileage to when the car was handed back 40347 sum 296 miles and are using this against us for the exchange. Diane my wife said she has not done 300 mile on checking the service manual the car was serviced last month and the mileage was recorded at 40288 therefore at the time of sale they have reduced the mileage to what it shoud have been. this means my wife has only cover under 20 miles in the car.

Please please please can somebody advise us, thank you so much for reading...

Jim Ross

Ford Focus - Rejection of car - ifithelps

I think it will cost £220 to lodge a small claim for more than £5,000.

Then there's all the form filling, time, trouble, and probably at least one day in court.

And there's no guarantee of success at the end of it.

My suggestion would be to negotiate a replacement car with the dealer.

They've already offered you £6,200, get them to up that a bit.

Focuses are common, so it must be possible to find a car with spec to suit, even if you have to pay a bit more into the deal.

I know doing that may stick in the craw, but it may be the fastest and least painful way to a resolution.

Ford Focus - Rejection of car - tony g
Hi jim ,I've been in car retailing for thirty years and sadly your experience is not uncommon ,particularly not returning phone calls .it does seem once you've paid ,even large car dealer groups loose interest .

The starting point to resolve the problem is how did you pay for the car ?

Did you use a credit card ,if you did ,contact your card company ,they are responsible for the quality of your goods ,they will act on your behalf to resolve the issue .similarily did you use hire purchase to buy the car ,you can ask the finance company to intervene .
If you need more information please contact the forum .

You should also complain directly to the managing director of the pendragon group who own EH. Send e mails plus a recorded delivery letter ,also ring and speak to his secretary .its tedious to have to do ,but he will make sure that the dealer principle of the garage you bought from contacts you .

If you need more help please contact the forum again and do let us know the outcome .

Contact details of pendragon group are below .

Good luck

Tony g

Mike Davies MD
Pendragon PLC
Loxley House
2 Oakwood Court
Little Oak Drive
Annesley
Nottingham NG15 0DR

Tel: 01623 725200
Fax: 01623 725010

Email: enquiries@pendragonplc.com

Edited by tony g on 15/04/2012 at 21:33

Thanks tony g I phoned and they were nice spoken but said you need to take up the problem with Evans halshaw customer services. I explained that I have done this twice with no call back. They transferred me and I have explained that the branch late on Friday have now given us an ultimatum take the car or settle for £6200 trade in against another car of their choice by Wednesday. We paid for the car by visa debit card as money in bank from personal loan. Thank for the information.
Ford Focus - Rejection of car - tony g
Hi jim ,it may be that visa debit can offer a similair facility to visa credit ,try giving them a ring .

Although you've spoken to the head office ,I would still write direct to the md .tell him how diss appointed you are in his company and the service .

It often works ,

If that fails ,it would be cheaper to have the car properly valeted .Its expensive about £150 .have the valeters take the seats and carpets out of the car ,pressure wash them ,treat them with a proper deodoriser ,then dry them using a hot air blower .ive done it several times and it always works , it's used mainly where dogs have been carried regularly in a car .

Regards

Tony g
John g forgot to mention e-mail pendragon twice no reply that was 2 weeks ago. Jim
Just to say car now resolved we are out of pocket a bit but just happy this is over with. Thanks for your comments. Jimmy
Oh just to say there are 3 people at the branch who did help out. And can't thank them enough.
Ford Focus - Rejection of car - concrete

Hello Jimmyears, what a tale of poor service. Evans Halshaw should be shamed publicly for this. I would contact your local newspaper and get them on the case. I am glad to hear you have resolved the issue, and at least are now confident you have a decent interior to your vehicle. You were right not use the car when the damp problem was evident. A friend of mine suffered a terrible respitory condition when exposed to the spores which can develop from dust etc in a damp enclose space i.e a car. Your children may have suffered too which is unthinkable.

I had this problem years ago on a Cortina. When I fixed the leak, I then put a hair dryer into the car, set to medium, and it blew warm air, with the windows cracked open, for a full day. Then a good spin round with all the windows open. It worked. Pity Evans Halshaw didn't think of that before handing you the car.

At least all is well now. Good luck with the car from now on. Cheers Concrete

Jimmyears, see the latest post requesting suitable cases for claims via the small claims court. I think your case is a good example of how poor service has cost you money. Perhaps you can re-claim that money. Consider getting in touch with 'the legalizer'. Cheers Concrete

Well today was the day we exchanged the car and its a wee cracker wife is delighted. We got different sales people and the wife got flowers and an apology. It still grates abit as we are £700 out of pocket. We only had use of the car for 3 days and 20 miles. The cost of the car was £7202 and they offered £6200 trade in we settled on £6500 as they would not budge. The main thing now is we can now enjoy our new baby without this hanging over us. I would not recommend anyone to use the garage that is my own opinion but if you have to speak to Steve or Keith they were outstanding. Thanks for all info and support.

Well done Jimmyears. However I could not put up with losing £700 like that. You probably have to earn at £1000 to clear £700. You would not walk into the showroom and donate £700 to the garage because they want to sell you a car. It was all their mistake, you should not be out of pocket, they are still making a handsome profit from you. I would be tempted to contact 'the legalizer' on this forum and sue for the return of your £700 despite the fact they apologised and exchanged the car. Good luck Concrete