Insurance, tax and SORN question - daveyK_UK

Good morning,

Can you let me know if the law has been broken.

A member of my staff purchased a vehicle from an auction.

The vehicle he collected had no taxed but did have a valid MOT in date, he drove the vehicle back 3rd party through his own insurance.

His insurance is also valid for 3rd party on other vehicles (for example, when his van goes in for any work, he borrows one of the other vehicles and has 3rd party cover on it).

This morning, he has started a debate in work to decide if his actions where illegal.

Driving without tax, no matter how short the joruney or what the circumstances is illegal.

If an ANPR picked him up, he will be fined I presume.

His saving grace is the car went straight to a garage for an MOT. However, the truth is while it did go to his friends garage, it did not go for an MOT.

Surely the police would not allow someone to hide behind this technicality as an excuse and would investigate?

The main question in the office is regards to the insurance.

Is a vehicle required to be SORN if it is not specifically insured (IE. its only covered by the drivers insurance on another vehicle?)?

If this is the case (I have tried internet forums for an answer and found them to be confusing, DVLA guidance is not clear), what is the penalty for no direct insurance?

Do the DVLA still allow a period of grace for insurance?

Thank you for any responses.

I must say, I didnt not realise there was a new system for insurance and SORN, this must cause havoc if you own an old classic that is only used for event days. Do you have to SORN it and re-tax it every time you get it out?

Insurance, tax and SORN question - TeeCee

Classics. Depends on the age of the vehicle.

If it's old enough tax is free anyway and as low-milage classic car insurance is cheap as chips, you might just as well keep it permanently "on the road".

"Newer" ones are more of a pain and yes, you do have to de-SORN / re-SORN them. Usually done for six months of the year to catch the decent weather (and only pay six months tax). If it really only comes out for shows, then permanent SORN and a trailer to events is apparently the way to go.

Insurance, tax and SORN question - thunderbird

Your friend has broken the law on several counts.

Car insurance usually has a clause that allows you to drive another vehicle "third party fire and theft" but the vehicle you are driving must have its own insurance. If this was not the case we would all be buying group 1 cars, insuring them and then driving our Ferrari.

You are allowed to drive a car without an MOT but you must be going to either get an MOT or retest.

If he has not benn caught so far he should stop driving and get the paperwork sorted. We should not be paying 30% more on our car insurance to cover uninsured drivers.

If he carries on I suggest you report him to plod.

Insurance, tax and SORN question - bathtub tom

I'm insured to drive vehicles that are not owned by me or hired to me under a hire purchase agreement. I assume the person in question has the same or similar.

If he bought it, he owned it and as such he wasn't insured.

Insurance, tax and SORN question - NARU

The Car insurance clause that allows you to drive another vehicle "third party fire and theft" usually says a vehicle not owned by the policy holder.

Insurance, tax and SORN question - skidpan

To drive another car on your own car insurance cover (if your policy permits it) the other car must be insured. That clause does not exist to allow you to drive any car you own simply by insuring a cheap vehicle, the vehicle you propose to drive must be insured in its own right.

On a "Police, Stop, Idiot" programme the other night a young girly was pulled because the car pinged on the Police's ANPR as not being insured. She argued that she was insured on her other car policy, Police had car towed and impounded because although she did have insurance on another car the car they stopped did not have a current policy.

The only policy you can get that covers you in any car you care to drive is a motor traders one.

Insurance, tax and SORN question - Ethan Edwards

Though there is just the one element in the 'perfect circle of insanity' that epitomises the relationship between the car owner's bank account and the state's grasping maw.

If your car has no MOT (and therefore you cannot apply for it's Tax disk) you may still drive the vehicle to a pre booked appointment at a MOT station. Thats it. Just that.

Insurance, tax and SORN question - bathtub tom

Though there is just the one element in the 'perfect circle of insanity' that epitomises the relationship between the car owner's bank account and the state's grasping maw.

If your car has no MOT (and therefore you cannot apply for it's Tax disk) you may still drive the vehicle to a pre booked appointment at a MOT station. Thats it. Just that.

But it must still be insured!

Insurance, tax and SORN question - Dwight Van Driver

The only immediate offences that was committed was using without an Excise Licence with possibility of Insurance.

There is an exemption from duty if the vehicle is going to or returning from a PRE ARRANGED MOT which in this case it is stated it was not.

Regarding Insurance if a valid policy is held and it contains the clause that it is permitted to drive another vehicle NOT OWNED or hired with the permission of the owner then that run wil lbe covered. However it is apparent that some policies require the other vehicle to be insured so the small print has to be examined. Bear in mind that if the cover is there then it will only be for third party. He is the owner having bought so it will not cover.

Future problems on acquisition will be that if Excise Licence/Insurance not taken out then it will have to be SORN and change of ownership notified.

dvd

Edited by Dwight Van Driver on 20/02/2012 at 14:24