Someone stole my reg plates - what do I do?

My number plates have been stolen from my car, which was parked on a road outside of our house. What should I do?

Asked on 17 May 2020 by David Campbell

Answered by Dan Powell
Report it to the police and the DVLA. You can get replacement plates from a local specialist or Halfords. You will need proof of identify (photocard driving licence) and the vehicle's V5C to obtain new number plates. Prices start from £16 per plate.
Similar questions
I purchased a pair of number plates from Halfords, I believe it was the Hi Line option. I was reassured with this purchase that the plates were legal as they state on their website “We are registered...
I have noted, from time to time, that you have commented about the problems of Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) systems and it seems that you probably feel that they do not work well. A few days...
I'm changing my car for one first registered in September 2010 and have a cherished plate that I intend to transfer. I surfed and found a firm that would supply with no documents required and with the...

Ask Honest John

Value my car