Renault Scenic - Negotiating after a crash! - spiral

I've had a crash on the M25, following a friend whose car lost total power. I slowed down enough to have written off my car, but the air bags weren't even activated and impact was relatively minimal.

The biggest concern is that I have only been driving for 11 months and the accident is seen as my fault.

Any advice as to how I can get some of my cash back so I can replace my car and have enough £ to afford the increase in insurance?

A friend mentioned that they think you have to negotiate a price with the insurance co, but I've never done anything like this and I'm scared,

Thanks for reading,

Spiral.

Renault Scenic - Negotiating after a crash! - FP

Bad luck about the crash.

If your insurance company has decided your car is write-off, (and assuming you have fully comprehensive insurance) they will offer you an amount of money which supposedly reflects the value of the car, but which might be quite low.

It is usually recommended that you assemble a list of advertisements for cars identical to the written-off one (or as close as possible) from Autotrader etc. to demonstrate the true value of the car. You present this to the insurance company and invite them to increase their offer.

I did this some years ago and it worked for me. In fact, I kept the car and had it repaired at my own expense.

Edited by FocalPoint on 10/07/2011 at 23:10